While you are tending to your business with clients, PIA of Wisconsin is tending to your business in the Wisconsin Capitol. As PIA members, you have two registered lobbyists working for you in Madison, including Executive Director Pete Hanson. We monitor all the bills and administrative rules that are introduced, looking carefully at proposals that relate to the insurance and financial services industry. We advocate in favor of proposals that are good for agents and the independent channel and against those that might harm independent agents or the industry as a whole.
In Washington, D.C., you have a team of federal lobbyists tending to your business there, as well. PIA National lobbyists are advocating for you in the House, Senate, White House and in regulatory agencies. At the close of 2019, they helped our industry achieve three major victories:
- The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was extended until September 30, 2020.
- The Cadillac Tax was permanently repealed.
- The Terrorism Risk Insurance Program (referred to as TRIA) was extended through the end of 2027.
Want to know how you can help? If you are interested in defending and promoting independent agents, you can help by:
- Being a member of PIA of Wisconsin! Your membership dues pay for the activities described above
- Donate to the Professional Insurance Agents PAC or the PIAW Legislative Conduit (see the yellow action buttons, to the right). These two funds are used to make contributions to candidates and lawmakers who tend to support policies that independent agents support.
- Contacting your local lawmakers when you see an alert from PIA of Wisconsin. If you would be interested in becoming a grassroots advocate for yourself and your fellow agents, contact PIAW Executive Director Pete Hanson and let him know. (608) 274-8188 or email@example.com
The link below will take you to a list of the bills we have identified as of interest to PIA members and our registered position on each bill.