TIPS FOR YOUR CLIENTS
According to the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the U.S. experiences over 1,000 tornadoes each year, far more than any other country. Agents can help their clients be more prepared by offering a few important safeguards.
- Make sure the property is adequately insured.
- Create an evacuation/safety plan for family (including pets) and keep a hard copy handy for quick exits.
- Assemble an emergency kit with essential items like medical supplies, a flashlight, battery-powered radio, spare batteries, water, snacks, etc.
- Secure entry doors, including garage doors, and prepare plywood covers for all windows that are not impact-resistant.
- Identify or create a shelter area in/around your home. The basement is the safest place followed by the center of the house. Avoid windows and doorways as much as possible. No area is safe in a mobile home.
- Know the location of your local emergency shelter and various routes to get there.
- Stay away from bridges and highway overpasses. Remember to wear your seatbelt if you are in a vehicle.
Brought to you by Berkshire Hathaway GUARD Insurance Companies, A+ Rated Property and Casualty insurers. Visit www.guard.com for product availability.